How do you compose music as BIG as the universe? Hear from Grammy Award winning composer Eric Whitacre about life as a music composer, then try it yourself! Make your own ‘universe sound’, listen to an interactive podcast episode, and come together for a hands-on STEAM Challenge – build a classroom orchestra! This could also be done in a virtual classroom for distance learning.
- What is a podcast? introductory video
- 45-minute 5E lesson plan aligned with NGSS and CCSS; includes fun STEAM Challenge
- Student Solve It! Pack (graphic organizer, scaffolded podcast listening guide, and reflection sheet – 3 page PDF)
- Student Solve It! Pack Answer Key (3 page PDF)
- Reflection grading checklist
- Exclusive link to podcast episode
- Music Composer! For Kids flyer (1 page PDF)
- access to online bonus content to keep exploring
Solve It! For Kids is a new science podcast with acclaimed children’s STEM author Jennifer Swanson and podcast personality Jed Doherty. Give your students a peek into the life of real scientists, engineers, and experts and challenge them to use curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity! The perfect way to integrate STEM in the elementary classroom while developing problem solving and listening skills.