Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Spanish 1+ Spain Bundle!
Audio file included- La corrida de toros (an interview with a girl from Pamplona, very interesting!)
35+ activities to learn about Spain. Totally differentiated materials, there is something for every student. Most activities are built around and branch off from the informational texts
1. “La breve historia de España,” - Spanish Civilization (Romans, Visigoths, Moors, Jewish culture, Inquisition). Mostly told in the present-tense (Packed in 3 pages!)
2.La corrida de toros" Two sides of the Bull-fighting debate. This includes an interview (authentic) with a girl from Pamplona.
3. "El viaje inolvidable." This text (two pages) presents information about places in Spain. Students read and fill in the blank/choose the correct verb to complete the sentence.
4. Franco Resource (Also listed on TPT as a separate resource)
Spanish 1+ Reading and comprehension activities on Franco, Spanish Civil War, and Guernica. I used this prior to teaching the novel Agentes Secretos, to prime my students understanding of Guernica, but this can be used as a standalone lesson of course!
1. Pre-reading cognate activity to engage schema and access prior knowledge. I call these “ confidence” building exercises.
2. Pre-reading questions about leaders to prepare them for the text.
3. Frases Fantásticas- This is a gap-information activity that I came up with and use in most of my resources. Students used the vocabulary from the Cognate Explosion activity and the reading to gain further insights into the text.
4. Cognate-laden utterly comprehensible texts about Francisco Franco, Guernica, the Spanish Civil War and his rise to power, and subsequent brutality..
5 Comprehension questions. These questions could be used as a summative assessment. There is a mix of lower (LOTS) to higher (HOTS) order thinking questions. This could be used as an assessment!
6. Journalist activity- students generate headlines for what they just read. See my website for student examples. https://wordpress.com/posts/teachingspanishmadeeasybyklasekastellano.wordpress.com
7. Pre-reading questions on Guernica (print out a replica online, or see the 3D video on my website). https://wordpress.com/posts/teachingspanishmadeeasybyklasekastellano.wordpress.com
8. Art analysis- the structures and steps are provided. I have done this with 7th grade, 9th grade, and 11th grade.
9. Short reading on Guernica/ artist Picasso.
10. Comprehension questions to the Guernica activity/ write “ I was there” activity. This activity calls for the past tense, and the sentences stems are provided.
These Spanish 1 readings are totally comprehensible and tell the history of the Iberian Peninsula, traditions and practice.
Check out the preview and table of contents and preview! Below is a list of activities.
KWL activity: ¿Qué sabes tú de España?
Pre-reading engagement questions
Conozcamos España (Internet Scavenger hunt)
Contra el reloj- pre-reading cognate activity (2)
Pre-reading matching and vocabulary activity(2)
La breve historia de la península ibérica
Questions and interview activity …
True/ False questions about article (CCSS)
Challenge/interference questions for higher level
Hablar y Escribir activity (2 activities)
El viaje inolvidable reading and guessing (2)
El viaje cloze-text activity and comprehension questions (3)Comprehension questions: El viaje inolvidable
Mini-research activity on a region of Spain
a. Region cuttable cards included!
Snapchat (template) Writing activity about Spain
Vocabulary list for readings (El viaje)
Tú commands lesson and activity
Paired speaking activity- based on vocab list
Running of the Bulls close reading activity for Spanish 1+ pre-reading, questions, vocabulary and extension activity
Plan a trip to Pamplona activity (3)
Los jóvenes opinan- bonus multi-level listening activity
I have implemented this activity with both Middle school and high school students. I created this activity as a way to introduce students to Spain, provide them with comprehensible input and have them engage in confidence building activities.