Basic reading comprehension for Spanish 1. I make sure my students have learned:
-- greetings and farewells
-- basic emotions
-- months and days of the week
-- basic weather
This will be a challenge as I tell them we won't understand every word or phrase yet. We talk about identifying cognates, and using context to look for best meaning rather than exact translation. I included a few extra vocab words translated at the bottom. The second page has comprehension questions in English. Typically students are surprised and pleased with themselves for being able to understand so much Spanish so early in the year!
I have the students:
1. Skim the conversation and highlight or underline words/phrases they know.
2. Look again and highlight cognates.
3. Read out loud with a partner, the goal being pronunciation (remind them vowel sounds!)
4. Translate with partner to the best of their ability.
5. Answer the questions in English.