This is the first serious (ie: graded) writing assignment I do with my Spanish 1 students every year. We tend to do this mini-essay about three months into the year, when they've learned the necessary structures and variety vocabulary to complete the work.
This product includes:
• A basic overview of the assignment
• A list of the necessary components of the essay as well as space for students to brainstorm the sentences and structures they might use to communicate their thoughts
• An explanatory/warning note about the use of online translators (this is a standard spiel that I give to Spanish 1 students anytime we are about to do a writing project, even if the work is done entirely in class)
• A rubric (based on the Fairfax County Schools PALS Level 1 analytic writing rubric, with further elaboration)
Grammatical structures and vocabulary involved:
• Ser + de to indicate origin
• Ser used to talk about jobs or identity
• Regular AR verbs in present tense
• Gustar used with verbs and/or nouns
• Optional: ER/IR verbs in present tense
• Vocabulary related to: schools, classes, basic everyday activities
I have included both Word and PDF files. Happy teaching and learning!