Spanish 1+ Reading and comprehension activities on Franco, Spanish Civil War and Guernica. I used this prior to teaching the novel Agentes Secretos, to prime my students understanding of Guernica.
1. Pre-reading cognate activity to engage schema and access prior knowledge. I call these “ confidence” building exercises.
2. Pre-reading questions about leaders to prepare them for the text.
3. Frases Fantásticas- This is a gap-information activity that I came up with and use in most of my resources. Students used the vocabulary from the Cognate Explosion activity and the reading to gain further insights into the text.
4. Cognate-laden utterly comprehensible texts about Francisco Franco, Guernica, the Spanish Civil War and his rise to power, and subsequent brutality..
5 Comprehension questions. These questions could be used as a summative assessment. There is a mix of lower (LOTS) to higher (HOTS) order thinking questions. This could be used as an assessment!
6. Journalist activity- students generate headlines for what they just read. See my website for student examples. https://wordpress.com/posts/teachingspanishmadeeasybyklasekastellano.wordpress.com
7. Pre-reading questions on Guernica (print out a replica online, or see the 3D video on my website). https://wordpress.com/posts/teachingspanishmadeeasybyklasekastellano.wordpress.com
8. Art analysis- the structures and steps are provided. I have done this with 7th grade, 9th grade and 11th grade.
9. Short reading on Guernica/ artist Picasso.
10. Comprehension questions to the Guernica activity/ write “ I was there” activity. This activities calls for the past tense, and the sentences stems are provided.