Also included in
- Upgrade or supplement your technology unit with these 40+ thoroughly engaging differentiated activities. The 40+ activities in this bundles feature a core set of vocabulary words such as: subir, descargar, contraseña, hacer clic, and more, and then recycles them through several readings and short st$15.25$22.25Save $7.00
- Dreaming in Spanish Mega Book Bundles features 16 resources spanning from Spanish 1 (Novice) to Spanish 3 (Intermediate). These resources can be used as part of curriculum as the themes are rich and varied, or they can be used to supplement a Free Voluntary Reading Program. Each resource listed belo$40.27$56.75Save $16.48
"No pasa nada" Short Engaging Story about Internet Safety and "Texting".
The resource includes the short illustrated story "No pasa nada" and 7 accompanying activities (Answer key will be added this week!).
No pasa nada
Manuela, a selfie-crazed teen, is madly in love with her boyfriend. She has finally found someone who her parents approve of, and that’s hard if you know anything about her parents. However, one day, her boyfriend makes a seemingly innocent request. She’s a bit surprised because his request conjures up a lot of feelings; it also goes against everything she was taught. She begins to wrestle with self-image, wanting approval, and making the right decisions. Can teenagers withstand peer pressure? Do they always cave in? Who decides what is right and wrong? These questions guide and frame a decision that could have major consequences. She has five minutes to decide, should she follow her heart, or should she follow her brain?
This short story, appropriate for high school, explores the dangers of making such a monumental decision, and its consequences. THIS STORY DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY GRAPHIC DESCRIPTIONS, but it will make students think more deeply about these decisions.
*Please note that this story only says that she is in her “Pijamas”. However, it tackles the issue of students sending inappropriate pictures.
ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE:
1. Short story: No pasa nada (this story has school appropriate illustrations)
2. PQA on cellphone usage
3. Post comprehension questions (Chapter 1)
4. Post comprehension questions (Chapter 2)
5. A escribir: writing activity
6. Final Thoughts Activity- students write in the final thoughts of the characters. This activity features the three main characters and talking bubbles.
7. Mini-PSA activity- students write 5 ways to stay safe on the Internet.
The rationale for this story
Students now, more than any other time in history, have access to a plethora of social media platforms. While this unprecedented age of access, has in its many benefits, it also ushers in new dangers with this newfound freedom. One of the issues that schools, parents, and communities are grappling with today, is lack of digital citizenship. One symptom of this deficiency is the prevalence of “inappropriate pictures” being sent and consumed. On a recent survey, girls and boys as early as the 5th grade reported being asked to send an inappropriate picture. This was the impetus of this story; to mirror those problems with the goal of reflection, introspection, and the power to make better decisions. Even better, students get to grapple with this reality in the target language.
OTHER RESOURCES EXPLORING HOW TEENS INTERACT WITH TECHNOLOGY