Also included in
- Upgrade or supplement your technology unit with these 40+ thoroughly engaging differentiated activities. The 40+ activities in this bundles feature a core set of vocabulary words such as: subir, descargar, contraseña, hacer clic, and more, and then recycles them through several readings and short st$15.25$22.25Save $7.00
- Dreaming in Spanish Mega Book Bundles features 16 resources spanning from Spanish 1 (Novice) to Spanish 3 (Intermediate). These resources can be used as part of curriculum as the themes are rich and varied, or they can be used to supplement a Free Voluntary Reading Program. Each resource listed belo$40.27$56.75Save $16.48
Use this PSA in your class to galvanize discussion about technology!
The Spanish PSA video "Antes de poner la imagen en la web" is one of my favorite PSA's of all times. Not only is it timeless with its universal message, it always provokes a very visceral response from students. Conversation flows endlessly. The video is available on Youtube and is a great addition to any unit on technology or internet safety. However, if you like some activities for frontloading, discussing the video, viewing assessments, and creative writing activities, please consider this resource!
Video: Antes de colgar su imagen en la web
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_q-HJQe4rM (Copy and paste video link into “keepvid.com" to permanently save it to your files for future retrieval).
ANTES DE PONER LA IMAGEN EN LA WEB RESOURCES (MOVIE-TALK)
1. Questions for Circling Activity with Video: Restaurant
This circling activity consists of a series of questions about the clip featured above. The picture of the clip labeled “La imagen en la web”. This is located in the same file you downloaded for this resource. It is better to use the picture, rather than freeze frame the video as the text at the top of the video my “tip” students off. The element of surprise is well worth it! The goal of this activity is to show students how normal situations, can be compromised when we don’t use technology appropriately.
2. Watch the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_q-HJQe4rM (1.04 minutes)
3. Post-viewing comprehension activity
For discussing the contents of the video there are three post-comprehension activities.
4. Roll-a-video activity: Group students in pairs or groups of three. Give each group die. They will roll the die and then respond to the number on which it lands. The student will then respond to the questions. There are three to four questions per tier. For example, if a student rolls the die and it lands on question number one, that student has to answer one of the questions from that tier. See the picture to the right.
B. Post-viewing comprehension questions. These questions feature an assortment of lower to higher level-thinking questions.
C. Preguntas personales: this activity includes PQA type questions to invite students to think about the message of the video and their own lives.
5. A escribir: Students take on one of the perspectives of the “players” in the video and rewrite what occurred from their perspective.
The main character
One of the teens who saw the pictures
The waiter (although, this may be creepy!)
SHORT STORY: LA FOTA
"La foto" is a short story inspired by the Spanish PSA "Antes de poner tu imagen en la web." See Movie Talk Bundle Attached.
Two teenage girls discover a picture (no pictures are shown, just reactions to the picture) of a friend online. The make a stark revelation about the picture and realize that they too may have been tricked into sending pictures of themselves (swimsuit pictures for a fake modeling agency) online.
With 600 total words and only 64 new words (noncognates such as "padre, madre, dijo, miró, estaba, etc,"). This story is comprehensible and highly relevant to our teen culture today. Many teens, especially girls (although boys as well) are bombarded with requests for pictures. This story, with a dramatic ending (parents play a powerful role in helping their children), will engage students with the vocabulary and themes associated with SOCIAL MEDIA.
1. Short Story: La foto
2. Comprehension Questions
3. Fill-in-the-blank vocabulary from the story
4. Comic strip: Retell and write/draw alternative ending to the story
MOVIE TALK AND STORY/ ANTES DE PONER LA IMAGEN EN LA WEB
If you are interested in the PSA Movie Talk and Story and Activities, click on the link below.
TECH BUNDLE (35+ ACTIVITIES)
If you are implementing a unit on technology, consider the "Tech Unit" bundle below. It has a total of 30 activities, including:
1. Authentic resources and ads from cellphone companies (taken during my trip).
2. Debates about cell phone usage in school.
3. Two student opposing views (one-two page texts) on the benefits of having "móviles" in school.
4. Writing activities
5. Short story"Caray, mi abuela tiene un móvil inteligente".
6. Technology usage surveys and sentence building activities
7. Matamoscas game (technology words)
8. "No pasa nada" story and 7 accompanying activities
9. Antes de poner la imagen en la web (and activities).
NO PASA NADA (ALSO INCLUDE IN TECH BUNDLE). LONGER STORY (11-PAGES) ABOUT THE DANGERS OF PHOTO-SHARING/SOCIAL MEDIA
MI ABUELITA TIENE UN MóVIL INTELIGENTE (SHORT STORY ABOUT A YOUNG GIRL WHO BUYS HER GRANDMOTHER A CELLPHONE. TURNS OUT THE GRANDMOTHER WANTS TO MEET "NEW PEOPLE" ONLINE).
LA CITA INOLVIDABLE (DATING ONLINE GONE AWRY- FUNNY!)
EXTENSION ACTIVITY (Not included in this resource)
This resource is also bundled with the story "No pasa nada" which explores the dangers of sending inappropriate text messages. The story is illustrated and the graphics are appropriate. Click below for the bundle.