*IN ORDER TO USE THE LINKS FOR THE VIDEOS IN THIS PRESENTATION BE SURE THAT YOUR SCHOOL ALLOWS ACCESS TO SITES SUCH AS YOUTUBE AND DAILYMOTION.COM
*AS OF 3/21/17 THE LINKS ARE WORKING BUT BASED ON FIREWALLS AND IT BLOCKS YOU WILL NEED TO DOUBLE CHECK THE PERMISSIONS OF INTERNET AT YOUR SCHOOL
Unit on Immigration for an upper level class (I used it for 4H) focusing on immigrants in US
1. First, students explore why people emigrate. The discuss questions in groups
2. Students watch a news clip (YOUTUBE links in PowerPoint) that portrays the story of Paola, a young immigrant who explains her difficulties as an immigrant/what she came to US. Questions for this video are in the Powerpoint as well as my "comprehension questions" sheet in my store.
3. Students discuss news clip using questions (in PowerPoint/sheet) and then write a letter to their family as if they were Paola (shows they can really see through the eyes of an immigrant and the struggles, not always achieving the "American Dream")
1. Students answer whether or not immigrants have challenges in their new countries
2. Students watch a wonderful clip on a woman from El Salvador who explains her experience as an immigrant in the US but also her "choque cultural" when she returned to her native country (Questions are listed on the "comprehension question sheet" in my store)
1. Students explore types of immigrants by doing research in groups (integrate technology as I allowed them to use their phones to answer questions)
2. Students read about different types of immigrants (reading link in Powerpoint) and answer questions (in PowerPoint)
1. Discussion on illegal immigration/illegal immigrants which leads into watching "La Misma Luna" (you may need to purchase this movie on your own or search for an online free movie, www.veoh.com has one but some schools don't allow the site)
2. Antes de ver activities and closing activities
All questions for the videos are on a sheet in my store.