Throw out your textbooks and show your students the real thing!
Use this Mexico lesson plan, PowerPoint presentation for Cinco de Mayo to teach your Spanish or English students what Mexico is really like.
* A joke (about Sinko de Mayo - the sinking of the huge shipment of mayonnaise aboard the Titanic)
* True/false slides to quiz your students about what they know about Cinco de Mayo
* The real Cinco de Mayo facts about what happened (students take notes on the "after" page)
Show your students what Mexico is like today with authentic Mexican pictures from:
* Oaxaca's dance festival, Guelaguetza
* Xochimilco boats from Mexico City
* Marimba players
* Generations of women weavers
* And much more: over 60 authentic pictures of people, places, and foods from my Mexico trip as a Fulbright Hayes Scholar
* 5 pages of picture explanations
* Page of ideas for games, writing assignments, and speaking activities
* Spanish and English versions
* A "Before" and "After" page to help students write about Cinco de Mayo and break down stereotypes
These Cinco de Mayo activities are for beginning Spanish students as well as advanced students.
This PowerPoint also works well for teaching students who don't speak Spanish about Cinco de Mayo for grades 2-12.
These pictures make great classroom decorations. Laminate them and hang them up for a more festive atmosphere for Cinco de Mayo or all year long.
Here's what teachers are saying:
* "I love this! I showed it to my students yesterday and they were hooked from the first page with the joke. The pictures are beautiful. Thank you for making a great product!"
* "My students hung onto every word when we went through this."
* "Great resource! Awesome for the kids to truly see the culture of Mexico."
* "I spent several months in Oaxaca, and your pictures brought it all back for me! I can't wait to show my students!!!!!"
Spanish Speaking Countries Bundle
Famous Hispanics Game and Research Project