Spanish Civil War Vocabulary and Inquiry Activity
Check out Matamoscas activity (freebie)
This resource packet was something I created for my students to explore the Spanish Civil war combining Comprensible Input practices with inquiry-based learning. We used the Maryglasgow El Sol Spanish Civil War reading text and video, so the resource wrap around those sources in terms of input. However, even if you don't use Maryglasgow, you may find these resources useful. There is what you will get to rock out your unit:
1. Student inquiry-activity- this an introduction to the Spanish Civil War. Instead of giving students something to read, I had them create "hanging" textbooks about the different aspects of the Spanish Civil War. For this activity, there were 8 different group min-research projects. There were approximately 3 students to each group. As they inquired into the Spanish Civil War, they noted the players, chief causes, Guernica and international intervention ( or lack thereof), in their mini-oral presentations. They decorated their boards and created a gallery, for which we did a note-taking gallery walk to begin our unit. This was an introductory activity.
2. Note-taking sheet - movement activity, students did this prior to presenting.
3. Vocabulary sheet- this included the people, concepts and verbs related to war
4. Paired students interview- questions contextualizing the vocabulary
5. Sentence writing activity- students write sentences, using the vocabulary and based on what they have learned.
Check out the blog post: Flipping the Scripting PBLL Spanish Civil War for more activities, including the Spanish Civil War PPT of images with paired Matamosas activity