The following worksheet is a 75 minute lesson on the Spanish conquest of the Americas. The lesson focuses on the advantages of both the Spanish and the native peoples in this conflict, the defeat of the Aztecs and Incas, and the rise of mercantilism. This lesson contains a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote discussion and critical thinking. Several of these activities include:
• Do now – discussion of the advantages that each side (Spanish vs. Natives) had in the conquest.
• Secondary source reading of the conquest of the Aztecs – includes several critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Song analysis – Neil Young’s Cortez the Killer (song and lyrics not included due to copyrights, both available online – includes several questions comparing the lyrics to the actual events of the conquest.
• What Would You Do? – Francisco Pizarro
• Readings on the rise of capitalism, joint-stock companies and mercantilism – questions included
• Cooperative group activity – mercantilism
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers
This lesson can easily be modified for a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions/comments/concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications for newly posted products. Please rate this worksheet/lesson if you are able to. Thanks!
I also offer this worksheet bundled with two others from the Age of Exploration...
Bundle #8 - Age of Exploration - Global/World History Common Core