PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
TWELVE Spanish Explorers Lessons featuring Nonfiction Informational Text with a balanced mix of engaging hands-on activities + TWENTY INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ASSIGNMENTS to focus on the lives and daring exploits of famous explorers and conquistadors:
Lesson 1: Christopher Columbus
Lesson 2: Amerigo Vespucci
Lesson 3: Vasco Nunez de Balboa
Lesson 4: Juan Ponce de Leon
Lesson 5: Ferdinand Magellan
Lesson 6: Hernando Cortes
Lesson 7: Francisco Pizarro
Lesson 8: Cabeza de Vaca
Lesson 9: Hernando de Soto
Lesson 10: Francisco de Coronado
Lesson 11: Juan Cabrillo
Lesson 12: The Future of New Spain
SPANISH EXPLORERS ACTIVITIES:
• Nonfiction Informational Text~we provide all of the CONTENT
• Questions after each Explorer lesson to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• thought-provoking Spanish Explorer Discussion Questions
• Reference Mapping using Cardinal and Intermediate Directions
• Latitude and Longitude Mapping-lines of Latitude, Longitude, the Equator, Prime Meridian
• Explorer Grid Puzzles utilizing Ordered Pairs on a Coordinate Grid
• Research Projects using Primary and Secondary Sources
• Journal Writing using Close Reading and Text Features to enhance Comprehension
• Creative and Expository Writing~we take students through entire Writing Process!
• Spanish Explorer Vocabulary Quizzes
Students will practice Functional Text Comprehension by following written directions to make their own miniature globe. All patterns included!
Students will then use the Spanish Explorers Content to complete TWENTY Interactive Notebook Assignments (all patterns and step-by-step instructions included!):
• THREE Vocabulary Booklets
• TWO One-Pocket Vocabulary Organizers
• TWO Vocabulary Cootie Catchers with Pocket Organizers
• THREE Vocabulary Flaps
• TWO Vocabulary Foldables
• Christopher Columbus Journal Page and Interactive Booklet
• Amerigo Vespucci Pocket Time Line
• Ferdinand Magellan History Cube
• Hernando Cortes Cause and Effect Organizers
• Inca and Aztec Empires Venn Diagram
• Hernando de Soto Interactive Time Lines
• Juan Cabrillo Find the Fib Game with Two-Pocket Organizer
• The Future of New Spain Circle Chart and Flip Book
Spanish Explorers, aligned with the 3rd-5th Grade Common Core READING, WRITING, and LANGUAGE Standards (see Preview for Standard Alignment), is one of NINE units in our American History Bundle. Purchase this Unit individually or save money by purchasing the entire Common Core-aligned AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE BUNDLE.
We've included a context-appropriate Glossary, Answer Pages, and Grading Rubrics for the higher-level Interactive Notebook and Writing Assignments.
Download the Spanish Explorers Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, Common Core Alignment, as well as sample Lessons and Activities.
OUR OTHER COMMON CORE ALIGNED AMERICAN HISTORY UNITS:
Splash! Publications. Created by Teachers. It Just Makes Sense.
RATING SPANISH EXPLORERS EARNS YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE TOWARD FUTURE PURCHASES AND GIVES US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2011-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.