This comprehensive “La Casa” vocabulary unit was designed to get students thinking about the ideal home. It is an excellent way to teach students vocabulary while making it fun and entertaining.
1. The lesson begins with a color by number picture of a castle. Ask students to think of this castle as their own home. They can color it following the key or modify it to suit their idea of a dream home.
2. The vocabulary can be done three ways. It can be done with a dictionary as a classroom vocabulary exercise. Give ten minutes for students to look for the words. Go over them with the class or assign partners. It could also be a SUB plan.
3. Ask students to picture in their mind what their ideal house will be room by room. They can do room sketches if you want to make it into a long term project and have them label the objects. Otherwise review basic grammar sentences. Explain gender/noun combinations. Ask them to create statements using the formula: Noun + es + color + y +size. Practice doing this with the class. Write on the board the following sample:
La Sala - El sofa es rojo y grande. They can describe the curtain, the walls. Ask them to write full statements in the writing prompt. There should be at least 5 statements per room.
4. Have students read their favorite room. Ask students to take notes in English- Excellent listening comprehension exercise. Review the notes. Excellence way to demonstrate in your classroom to students their ability to comprehend the language.
5. Collect their castle pictures and attach them to their room descriptions. You have an amazing personalized writing sample to display in your classroom and add it to their grade portfolios.
Please follow me "El Jaguar" to be the first one notified of new lessons and sales.