Word play activities have tremendous educational benefit but not all commercially successful games work well in the classroom. As such, I created this variation of Scrabble for my Spanish classes because using the sets that I had purchased was problematic in my larger classes.
This download includes everything that you need:
1. Instructions for play (distinct from those of the board game)
2. Customized, 2-sided letter squares for play
3. Five Thematic Word Lists
4. Score card (reproducible)
The word lists allow you to review key thematic vocabulary but also helps students focus on specific words rather than random words that they may or may not be able to recall. The themes include:
* Interrogatory words (¿Quién?, ¿Cómo?, ¿Qué?, etc.)
* Days & Months
* Classroom items
* Directions (entre, al lado de, debajo de, etc.)
You also get a copy of the cover image that can be printed and displayed as a poster in the classroom. This particular image is of a bicycle parking lot sign taken in Lima, Peru in July of 2014. This is a decorative sign and a great conversation piece.
This activity works well for introductory courses as well as credit classes. It also has several valuable applications.
1. It supports collaboration and group work
2. It is ideal for first week of school team-building
3. The time of play can vary making it a great warm-up, activity for your substitute teacher plans, and even a "Fun Friday" reward.
ADMINISTRATORS AND CURRICULUM COORDINATORS: If you plan to share this activity with your staff or colleagues, please remember to purchase the additional licenses.