The idea of Language Through Music is to learn Spanish by looking at modern popular hits from the Latin American music world. Songs are chosen following a specific criteria. They will generally cover topics of historical/social/political interest tackling issues affecting modern Latin American society, thereby creating opportunity for discussion and practice of oral skills. Furthermore it this gives the teacher the possibility interlink a wider ranger of activities within the same lesson/set of lesson. Some songs may be chosen due to a particularly interesting use of language and/or presence of particular expressions that are worth looking at in detail. Due to copyright reasons I cannot include the original audio file with the material, however all of the songs will be widely available on the net/Youtube/iTunes and I will provide a working link.
The use of realia such modern songs in the learning process will give the student more of a feel of real-world application of his language skills as well as an enriching cultural experience in itself.
Spanish lesson plan for up to 3 hours.
In depth analysis of the song "Ella y El" by the popular Guatemalan songwriter Ricardo Arjona.
This song touches a number of topics but the main one regards the Cuban Embargo and Cuba's social/political history during the last 50 years.
- Full Lyrics text of the song
- Comprehension questions relating to the content of the text
- 2 pages of exercises aimed at developing a deeper understanding of the expressions and metaphors used in the song.
- Reading comprehension text "La Historia del Bloqueo en Cuba"
- Set of questions related to the text.
- A Mind map outlining important points for a class discussion on the topic.
Youtube link for the song:
ANSWER SHEET is not included cause many questions are discussion based however if you require answer guidelines I will be happy to provide you with a free copy.