** Newly updated. The story now has larger text, a picture version of the story has been included, and links to YouTube videos that were taken down have been fixed. If you purchased this story before 1/2/17, please re-download the file. **
This is a New Year's Eve story for beginning Spanish students. I wrote it to teach my students the tradition of eating twelve grapes on New Year's Eve. This tradition began in Spain in the late 1800s and has spread to parts of Latin America.
I wrote this story for an elementary FLES program. It will work best with students from 3rd-6th grade.
This bundle includes:
• Las doce uvas - picture story
• Story cards (without text) for students to retell the story in Spanish
• Student version of the story (text only)
• Student version of the story (with pictures in black and white)
• Three worksheets to accompany the story
• A timed writing quiz
• A teacher's guide with suggestions for teaching the story over three days. Additional activities are included at the end of the guide for teachers who would like to teach the story over five days.
• Lyrics to the New Year's Eve song "Cinco pa' las doce"
• A cloze activity for "Cinco pa' las doce"
• One page of questions about "Cinco pa' las doce"
NOTE: This story is sold in PDF format. I have received some requests to put these stories in PowerPoint format. However, many of the artists who create educational clipart specify that the clipart must be locked down in a PDF file, as this secures the file images. Some PDF viewing programs have the option to "view as slideshow", which looks very similar to a PowerPoint presentation. Other programs have the option to view as full screen or full page. This is how I use the PDF files in my class.
I teach this story with TPRS®, a method developed by Blaine Ray.
This story provides input that is comprehensible, engaging, and carefully structured to include lots of repetition. I have been using TPRS® in my classes since 2007 and have found it to be a highly successful method for learning languages. I have used TPRS® with preschool through adult classes and have found that learners of all ages are captivated by stories.