This is a PowerPoint activity I used with my class to introduce the concept of stem-changing verbs in Spanish.
They are currently working on an assignment where they have to create their own superhero or villain and then describe what they look like, their personality characteristics and what they can and can't do as powers.
* NOTE* The font/formatting in this presentation may appear different when you download it, as I installed a superhero font called "BadaBoom BB" to give the text a comic-book feel. You can easily download this font for free to apply it to this presentation.
This presentation shows students how to conjugate "poder"/ "to be able to/can" and then combine this verb with infinitive verbs to describe superhero powers and abilities.
E.g. "Yo puedo + volar" = I can fly.
I have done this in both 1st and 3rd person, as some students wanted to use 1st person and others wanted to use 3rd person. If you play the presentation in slideshow view, the appropriate pronouns and verb endings will automatically change when you press enter.
The powers I described in the presentation are:
- To fly - volar
- To run quickly - corer muy rápido
- To control objects - controlar objetos
- To read minds - leer la mente
- To change appearance - cambiar de apariencia
- To regenerate - regenerar
- To teleport - teletransportarse
- To control the temperature - controlar la temperature
- To eat planets - comer planetas
- To control ocean animals - controlar los animals del océano
- To make oneself invisible - hacerse invisible
- To absorb the powers of other people - absorber los poderes de otras personas
- To time travel - viajar en el tiempo
- To control time - controlar el tiempo
- To sense danger - presentir peligro
- To control fire - controlar el fuego
- To control dragons - controlar los dragones
- To control lightning - controlar los relámpagos
-To change the form of objects - cambiar la forma de los objetos
- To create objects made of gold - crear objetos hechos de oro
- To control people - controlar a las personas
Each power is accompanied by a picture of a superhero or character who displays these abilities. Some of the pictures are in .gif format.
I hope you enjoy this presentation!