After completing the novel Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, students are prompted to read two articles (links provided) concerning censorship of Speak in schools. Students write the essay in the form of a letter to the school board, expressing their position on whether Speak should be allowed as part of the curriculum.
Packet includes article links, planning sheet, persuasive graphic organizer, and scoring guide.
You might be interested in my other Speak products:
Complete Speak Unit:
* Speak - Literary Novel Study; Speak Novel Unit
Separate Speak Materials:
* Speak - Characterization Paragraph Assignment
* Speak - Motifs; Analyzing Motifs; Secondary Language Arts
* Speak - Close Reading; Excerpts; Annotation
* Speak - Vocabulary Lists, Definitions, Quizzes, and Answer Keys
* Speak - Quote Response; Say, Mean, Matter
* Speak - Response Questions for Writing or Discussion
* Speak - Analyzing Allusions; Secondary Language Arts
* Book Cover Analysis; Novel Anticipatory Set; Book Jacket Blurb; Secondary