"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson: A Study Guide provides materials to support a reflective reading of this text.
1. Teachers' introduction;
2. Guiding questions for pre-reading, for each section, and for post-reading (27 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. They are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc. Answers are not provided: readers WILL find their answers in the text;
3. Material and ideas for discussing the controversial nature of this text;
4. Ideas for using the questions on the text to promote classroom discussions and presentations;
5. Ideas for further reading;
6. Two graphic organizers (character perspectives and plot structure) for annotation.