What’s one of the greatest challenges faced by special educators? Clear, consistent, and effective communication and collaboration!
This communication and collaboration is needed in a variety of ways:
• in multiple settings
• among multiple stakeholders: classroom teachers, resource teacher(s), related service providers, specialists, assistants, parents, students
The challenge is providing the RIGHT people with the RIGHT information at the RIGHT time in the RIGHT place. Initially overwhelmed with this challenge, my teaching partner and I have dedicated over 2 years of time to improving the communication and collaboration systems we use on our special education team. Our success has been great and the topic has become one of true enthusiasm and dedication. Our hope is that you can use our experience and materials to improve your own communication and collaboration 1 step at a time.
Included in this pack you’ll find detailed information regarding the steps we took to improve our communication and collaboration among stakeholders as well as 26 usable pages including the following materials:
• “Collaboration Sheet” for collaboration between special ed. teachers and regular ed. teachers
• “Resource Team Collaboration” sheet for collaboration among special ed. teachers/teaching partners
• “Team Meeting Agenda” form for organizing and planning meeting topics and feedback
• “Team Meeting Items” form – a place for all staff to add meeting agenda items throughout the week
• “Collaboration with Principal” sheet for collaborating with administration
• "Collaboration Log" for keeping track of meeting attendance and regularity
• “Note to My Teacher” communication note template for timely communication between the special ed. room and regular ed. classroom
• “Good News” & “Guess What” postcard templates (2 pages in black and gray and 2 pages in color) for timely and positive communication from school to home
• “Prep Time Checklist” form for assistant prep times
• “Collaboration Problem Solving Sheet” for student-centered problem-solving teams (teaching partners, Student Assistance Teams, IEP teams, etc.)
• 3 colorful "Collaboration & Communication Binder" covers
UPDATE: Additional forms added 1/3/13:
• 2 "Teacher-to-Teacher READING Communication Sheets" (2 nearly identical forms - one with additional check box items in the anecdotal notes section) that allow for timely and efficient reading communication between classroom and resource teachers
UPDATE: Additional forms added 2/6/13:
• Alternate version of a "Reading Communication Sheet"
• "News from School" parent communication postcards in lined and unlined versions
• "Updates & Upcomings" parent communication sheet in lined and unlined versions