Students learn math concepts best when discovering mathematical patterns on their own rather than being told by the teacher. This activity is designed to have the students discover the relationships between the sides of 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 right triangles
Students will create and then measure the sides of each type of triangle.
1. Students understand the basic concepts of triangles
2. Students have learned the basics of functions
3. Students are familiar with angles and degrees
4. Students know what an angle bisector is
5. Students are familiar with the Pythagorean Theorem
Students using a ruler will create the two types of triangles with varying length sizes. They will then be asked a series of questions that will lead them to discover the relationship between the sides of the special right triangles.