Also included in
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
- Ready to keep students learning all June long? Then, this bundle of four, fun print-and-teach units is just what you and your students need! Filled with units that will have students analyzing and writing speeches, investigating five summer poems, working through interactive tasks for making infer$20.47
Meet Common Core State Standards in reading, writing, listening, and speaking with this 10 day Speech Unit.
In this unit, students learn about the nonfiction genre of speeches, analyze four historic speeches, develop skills in writing short answer responses, conduct mini-research projects, write a persuasive speech based on their research, and present their speeches to the class. This is a highly rigorous, yet engaging, unit where students work as a group, with partners, and independently to develop skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
Digital Version Included - This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
Days 1 - 5: READING and ANALYZING SPEECHES
- Students will learn about the characteristics of speeches, types of speeches, and how to read and analyze speeches.
- Then, students will closely read and analyze 4 historic speeches.
- In their analysis, students will cite textual evidence to support their claims.
- Through teacher modeling, working with partners and independent practice, students will determine the central idea of the speeches and analyze how the key idea is introduced, illustrated, and elaborated on in the speech.
- Graphic organizers will help students determine the author’s purpose and explain how it is conveyed.
- Students will respond to a short answer question for each speech that requires them to trace and evaluate the author’s point of view.
- Students will develop skills in responding to a short answer question.
- Using the “READ” strategy, students will write short answer question responses that not only answer questions, but incorporate specific evidence from the text.
- FYI: Several links are provided to access and download Reagan's speech.
Day 6: MINI-RESEARCH
- Students will take on the role of a Presidential fan club member campaigning for their particular President to win the Best President of the 20th Century Award for the research and speech portion of the unit.
- Students will conduct research on a specific President as they prepare their “case” for the President Award.
Canadian Teachers - I've included a prime minster version of the writing activity in this resource. You'll find everything you need to help students write a speech about a prime minister in this unit.
Days 7 - 8: SPEECH WRITING
- Students will complete a step-by-step pre-write for their speech.
- Mini-lessons on speech writing, propaganda techniques, and delivering a speech help students to make their speeches more effective and engaging.
- Students' speeches will include an argument and support for their argument.
Days 9 - 10: SPEECHES
- After practicing their speeches with peers, students will deliver their persuasive speeches for the entire class.
- •Students will listen to and actively evaluate peers’ speeches.
This detailed unit includes:
- Unit Plan (outlining each day's instruction)
- 20th Century President List (for speech assignments)
- Peer Feedback Form
- Speech Rubric
- Guided Notes on Speech Elements and Types
- “READ” Strategy Overview and Practice (for responding to short answer questions)
- Speeches “On - Surrender to US Army” and “Farewell to Baseball” (links are provided to download Reagan's speech)
- 3 Sets of Analysis Graphic Organizers: pre-read, developing understanding, point of view, purpose, short answer analysis
- Speech RAFT Assignment
- Speech Writing Materials: pre-write, propaganda techniques, putting it all together
- Guided Notes on Delivering a Speech
Speech Analysis Assessment:
- “Tribute to Dogs” speech analysis assessment
- All keys for instruction and speech analysis
You may also like…
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction