Also included in
- With the Common Core’s emphasis on nonfiction texts, classic American authors, and writing, this bundle meets many needs. In these three Inspired Writing lessons, students use mentor texts as models for their own authentic writing. Furthermore, the lessons guide students through close readings of t$8.05$11.50Save $3.45
- Are you new to American Literature or tired of boring worksheets? Engage students in real-world learning connections and critical thinking with these lessons and activities for your American Literature Curriculum. This growing bundle is organized thematically and includes a variety of lessons that m$104.99$208.23Save $103.24
Want a lesson that makes learning relevant for Veterans Day or Memorial Day? Let students honor veterans and other heroes with this lesson and speech writing activity after a close reading of the speech “The Gettysburg Address" (or other selected speech). This lesson uses mentor texts as models for student writing.
In pre-reading activities, students journal about memorials they have visited and take a virtual field trip (via PowerPoint) to memorials around the world including the Vietnam Memorial, World War II Memorial, African American Civil War Memorial, Gandhi Memorial, and Flight 93 commemoration field, along with many others. While they view the PowerPoint presentation, they record their observations of the monuments on a graphic organizer.
Next, they read contextual information via online links about the Battle of Gettysburg and record details from their reading. The lesson continues as they read the speech, identify parallelism, and answer post-reading questions to check their comprehension.
After these activities, students choose people or events for their own memorial designs and dedication speeches. They incorporate their own use of parallelism in their speeches and are guided through the writing process step-by-step.
This zip file with an 18-page PDF file and 7-slide PowerPoint includes the following:
- explicit lesson plan with identified Common Core ELA Anchor Standards
- virtual field trip graphic organizer
- virtual field trip PowerPoint
- pre-reading and contextual reading guides
- text of speech
- graphic organizers
- memorial & speech assignments with suggested evaluation criteria
- peer review handout
- student sample
If you like this lesson, you may be interested in these other lessons that use mentor texts and close reading:
Meaningful and Memorable English Language Arts by © OCBeachTeacher
All rights reserved by author.
Limited to use by purchaser only.
Group licenses available.
Not for public display.