Also included in
- This bundle is the ultimate ELA teacher starter pack! These are some of my FAVORITE resources that will help you mix up your instruction & engage students during your whole-class novel units.-Socratic Seminar-Mock Trial-Pre-Reading Learning Stations-Post-Reading Learning Stations-Literary AnalysPrice $16.50Original Price $18.75Save $2.25
- Need resources that you can use for ANY novel, time and time again? Ready to engage and challenge your class with student-centered materials? This mega-bundle of my two popular bundles will save you dozens of hours lesson planning! When you purchase, you will receive the following:Socratic Seminar fPrice $29.00Original Price $33.75Save $4.75
Engage ALL of your students with this fun "speed dating" discussion activity that works for ANY novel. This student-centered lesson scaffolds discussion AND the challenging skill of literary analysis. Students will be paired up to discuss questions aligned with Common Core 9-12 ELA standards in different rounds of "speed dates." After each round, students will rotate to a new partner and receive a new question. By the end of class, students will have interacted with 15+ peers and discussed 15+ questions! This means students get lots of low-risk, repeated practice in the peer-to-peer setting. No more asking the whole class a question and waiting for "that one kid" to respond. This activity solves the problem by engaging all students at the same time!
If you feel like your whole-class discussions are flopping, then it will work wonders to do this activity BEFORE leading a whole-class discussion. You'll get so much more out of students! This activity also works well as scaffolding before a literary analysis essay or final test.
This activity works best at the end of a novel, as it contains questions that ask about "the big picture" (theme, symbolism, etc.) If you wish to implement it during a novel unit, please note that you may have to edit/add some questions to make it work. :)
When you purchase this resource, you will receive the following:
-Detailed Teacher Instructions
-EDITABLE Student Sheet w/ Exit Ticket
-EDITABLE 27 Question Cards (Common Core aligned)
-Blank Question Cards (Add your own)
Literary elements covered:
-Point of View
Love this resource? Check out my other speed dating resources:
- Speed Debating: Persuasive Activity - Practice Debate & Ethos, Pathos, & Logos
- Back-to-School "Speed Dating" Icebreaker Activity: Build Classroom Community!
- Peer Review Speed Dating Activity - Engaging, Meaningful Peer Feedback!
- Speed Dating for ANY Topic: Editable Template - Engaging Activity!
- American Dream Speed Debating Discussion - Engaging Activity