Also included in
- Engage your students while teaching rhetorical appeals and devices. This bundle is comprised of some of my most popular products! Check out the individual links for more information.$16.50$19.00Save $2.50
- Need engaging, challenging lessons for your American Literature course? Want to save hundreds of hours lesson-planning and take your time back? This mega-bundle of my tried-and-true resources is here to save the day. When you purchase this bundle, you will receive ALL of my American Lit resources, i$150.00$236.25Save $86.25
Looking for an engaging way to practice ethos, pathos, and logos? Want to practice debating in preparation for a formal debate? Just want to have some FUN and hit the listening and speaking standards? Feel like challenging your students to think fast on their feet? Don't know what else to teach tomorrow?
Look no further, because this is it. I am not exaggerating when I say this is the BEST lesson I've ever taught. It's one of those activities that is so student-directed that you, as the teacher, can just float around the room and "watch the magic happen," as I like to say. :)
During this activity, your students will participate in mini impromptu debates over various topics, some silly and some serious...but all guaranteed to spark some friendly controversy! Students will be challenged to use as many rhetorical appeals and devices as possible, and they will be tracking their opponents' use of these elements.
This activity is very flexible; you can do as many or as few of the debates as you want. I usually take a whole class period and do 8-10 debate rotations, but you could do less to make it a quick activity or more to make it roll over into 2 days. You can also easily add/remove debate topics to suit your clientele.
-Student tracking sheet
-24 debate topic cards
Love this resource? Check out my other speed dating resources:
- Speed Dating for ANY Novel: Engaging Literary Analysis Discussion Activity!
- Back-to-School "Speed Dating" Icebreaker Activity: Build Classroom Community!
- Peer Review Speed Dating Activity - Engaging, Meaningful Peer Feedback!
- Speed Dating for ANY Topic: Editable Template - Engaging Activity!
- American Dream Speed Debating Discussion - Engaging Activity