Also included in
- Fourth Grade Utah SEEd Bundle This resource bundles all my 4th-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? This huge bundle includes a year’s worth of r$104.48$129.85Save $25.37
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 4th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 4th grade. This bundle also includes an assessment that can be used at the end of each strand. Save 20% by purchasing this as a bundle. Save lots$52.64$66.25Save $13.61
- NGSS Fourth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 4th grade for the entire year. These resources include slideshows, informational text reading passages, science labs, science centers, response pages, and an assessment for each strand of NGSS fourth grade. Do you want an NGSS b$72.64$89.80Save $17.16
- This fourth-grade science bundle includes all of my resources for 4th-grade NGSS as well as fourth-grade resources for reading informational text. Teachers and school districts will love this fourth-grade Huge NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers, nonfiction articles, and more. This Bund$145.96$180.70Save $34.74
In this fourth-grade speed and energy unit, students will learn about speed and energy and colliding objects. Students will learn that there are cause-and-effect relationships between speed and energy. They will also learn that changes in energy occur when objects collide. Students will learn how to set up an investigation with independent, dependent, and control variables to test their ideas, record information, and form a conclusion. Students will also learn about potential and kinetic energy.
This unit includes:
- hands-on activities
- three labs
- two slide shows
- strategic note-taking guide
- follow-up pages
- a quiz
The labs require only a few materials: pennies, tennis balls, marbles or bouncy balls, something to make a ramp.
This unit will take six days if all the parts are used. The resource includes a multiple-choice quiz at the end of the unit.
Save 20% by purchasing in the Utah SEEd 4th grade bundle.
This resource is aligned with the following standards:
NGSS 4-PS3-1. Use evidence to construct an explanation relating the speed of an object to the energy of that object. [Assessment Boundary: Assessment does not include quantitative measures of changes in the speed of an object or on any precise or quantitative definition of energy.]
NGSS 4-PS3-3. Ask questions and predict outcomes about the changes in energy that occur when objects collide. [Clarification Statement: Emphasis is on the change in the energy due to the change in speed, not on the forces, as objects interact.] [Assessment Boundary: Assessment does not include quantitative measurements of energy.]
Utah SEEd Standard 4.2.1
Construct an explanation to describe the relationship between the speed of an object and the energy of that object. Emphasize using qualitative descriptions of the relationship between speed and energy like fast, slow, strong, or weak. An example could include a ball that is kicked hard has more energy and travels a greater distance than a ball that is kicked softly. (PS3.A)
Utah SEEd standard 4.2.2
Ask questions and make observations about the in energy that occur when objects collide. Emphasize that energy is transferred when objects collide and may be converted to different forms of energy. Examples could include changes in speed when one moving ball collides with another or the transfer of energy when a toy car hits a wall. (PS3.B, PS3.
NJSLS • 4-PS3-3 Ask questions and predict outcomes about the changes in energy that occur when objects collide.
This resource uses lots of scientific phenomena! And is aligned with the Science and Engineering Practices and Crosscutting concepts for these standards. Aligned with Next Generation Science Standards and Utah Science and Engineering Education Standards.
You can learn more about this resource: Speed, Energy and Colliding Objects on my blog.
Please note that the slide shows and pages are not editable. They are secure and protected by copyright. This resource is created by Teaching Science with Lynda R. Williams
If you have questions about my resources please contact me at email@example.com
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
Please see other resources for NGSS and Utah SEEd fourth grade science: