Engage your students in spelling with a variety of fun spelling activities for any list of words. These 20 unique spelling activities will have your students looking forward to their spelling word practice every week. Print out the activity cards or use the digital version and assign them directly to students through Google Classroom or by sending a share link to them. These spelling activities are perfect to use as part of weekly classwork, centers or as a homework spelling contract. With numerous activities included you can choose the activities each week or give students choice.
See the Preview for a detailed look at the fun spelling activities!
Spelling Activities for Any Word List includes:
- Information and Instructions for Teacher
- Spelling Activity Posters
- 22 Spelling Activity Cards
- 22 Digital Spelling Activities on Google Slides
- Student Spelling Contracts
- Brick templates to be added to the large posters
The spelling activities include:
- Word snakes
- Word search
- Word triangles
- How many steps?
- Dictionary meanings
- Magazine words
- Alphabetical order
- Guess my group
- Little words in big words
- Antonyms and synonyms
- Rhyming words
- Draw a picture
- Letter patterns
- Word sums
- Word quiz
- Edit a piece of writing
- Use your words in a sentence
The spelling activities are part of a spelling learning center planned around The Three-Story Intellect and are designed to encourage your students to use higher order thinking. The center acknowledges the different ways students learn and provides a variety of activities to motivate your students.
The three-story intellect recognizes three different levels of thinking including:
- Gathering information
- Processing information, and
- Applying information
The center is best implemented with a bi-weekly spelling program and is appropriate to use with any list of spelling words. Each spelling activity in the center is classified into one of the levels. Students are required to complete a different leveled activity each day. Students can use the printable cards and complete the activities in writing or in a spelling notebook. You can also assign the digital Google Slides version for students to complete using a computer or tablet.
The pack also includes spelling contracts for your students. These spelling contracts inform the students of the activity they are required to complete for each day. The contract also lists three personal challenge tasks. These are more detailed tasks that students need to finish for each spelling list.
See what Teachers are Saying . . .
- "This has been great with my second language learners! It really stretches their thinking about how words are built! Thanks for sharing this with us!"
- “Love this resource! Love how the activities link with the 3 levels.”
- "Great activities! Great for ELL and differentiation!"
- "Love this whole concept! Looking forward to using this to motivate students to challenge themselves during word work!"
- "I am so excited to have this resource to diversify my spelling practice activities. The more my 6th graders enjoy their practice, the more it sticks in their memory!"
More Fun and Engaging Classroom Activities:
- Natural Disasters Research Project
- Phonics Cootie Catchers Bundle
- Spin a Word Phonics Games Bundle
- The Complete Phonics Bundle Including Phonics Worksheets
Remember, leaving feedback earns you points toward FREE TPT purchases.