Introducing the Third Grade Spelling Curriculum Growing Bundle! This unique concept-based spelling curriculum is flexible, easy to differentiate, and simple to use. It is designed to increase students’ understanding of common spelling rules and patterns. You might say it’s the spelling program you’ve always dreamed of.
This growing bundle has everything you need for a comprehensive spelling program with lessons that are fun and engaging all year long. This curriculum is simple to tailor to your unique classroom needs. Each week includes 4 different spelling lists, interactive notebook activities, task cards, practice sheets, homework, and assessments. You can choose the lists and activities that work best for your students.
These spelling lessons are focused on spelling rules and patterns. This approach ensures that students gain a conceptual understanding of why words are spelled the way they are. It also increases the number of words they are able to spell. Instead of just memorizing the weekly word list, students will be gaining skills they can apply to new, unknown words.
The spelling curriculum includes a variety of ways to fit spelling into your routine. Only have time to teach spelling twice a week? No problem! Our sample schedules will show you how to make this program work for you in 2-5 days per week.
This bundle includes 32 weeks of spelling lessons. There are four eight-week units. Each unit includes 7 new skills followed by a week of review.
Each week follows the same format. You’ll only have to teach the expectations and procedures one time. After that, your students will know exactly what’s coming next in each week. From mini lessons to interactive notebooks, task cards to practice sheets and assessments, they’ll know what to expect. You’ll save so much class time!
Each ready-to-teach week is organized by spelling rules. The instructional PowerPoint is your complete mini lesson–just project on the board and teach. Daily student activities are effective and engaging–just print and copy for each student. We’ve also included a list of frequently asked questions to address some common concerns and help you troubleshoot.
Each unit costs $25. But this bundle delivers an entire year of skills-based lessons to you for the money-saving price of $75.
But it gets even better. Right now, for a limited time, you can purchase the Growing Bundle. If you act fast and purchase the Growing Bundle you will get all four units, every lesson, assessment, and activity you need for the entire year, for just $50. That’s less than 60 cents per day!!! You’ll pay the growing bundle price now ($50), and when new units are added to the bundle, you will get immediate access to them. The growing bundle price is only available while the units are still being completed. Once the bundle is finished the price will go up to $75.
- 4 8-week units
- Differentiated spelling lists (4 each week) and family letter for each week
- 28 Anchor charts assist visual learners and provide a student reference throughout each unit.
- PowerPoint Mini lessons teach the rule, pattern, or skill to be covered each week in a ready-to-use interactive lesson; all you have to do is display the slides.
- Interactive notebook activities (2 per week) reinforce spelling rules - 1 focuses on the general use of the rule and the other focuses on applying the rule specifically to the spelling list.
- Task Cards (12 per week) are included for centers, review, or whole group activities.
- Practice sheets give students the opportunity to recognize the skill in written texts and bridge the gap between spelling and reading
- Homework sheets (optional) provide additional practice before assessment.
- Assessments cover both the weekly spelling list and general skill.
- Cover and Table of Contents make student organization easy.
- Spelling Inventory allows you to easily assess students and decide which spelling list is right for them.
- Sample Schedules show how to implement the spelling program in 2-5 days per week.
- Detailed teacher directions provide flexibility and make implementation in the classroom easy.
- A FAQs section provides answers to commonly asked questions about the resource and helps you get started right away.
Unit 1: Word Families, Consonants & Vowels, Syllables, Short Vowels, Long Vowels, Consonant Clusters, Digraphs sh/th/ph, Unit One Review
Unit 2: Using tch and ch, Using ck and dge, Double Consonants, Closed Syllables, Final e & Vowels, Digraphs ay/ai, Digraphs oy/oi, Unit Two Review
Unit 3: Digraphs ar/or, Digraphs er/ir/ur, Word Parts, Suffixes, Word Families, Unit Three Review
Unit 4: Words Ending in -le, Long A, Long E, Long I, Long O, Long U, Compound Words, Unit Four Review
How to Use It in the Classroom:
Weekly Routine (Based on a five-day routine):
- Day 1: PowerPoint mini lesson - whole group and individual practice; approximately 20 minutes
- Day 2: Interactive notebook and partner practice
- Day 3: Task card scoot
- Day 4: Practice sheet and partner practice; optional homework
- Day 5: Assessment
If you don’t have time for spelling all five days, use the sample schedules to modify this routine:
- Flexibility is built into this program. It is designed to be used between 2-5 days per week. See the sample schedules for implementation ideas.
- You can use the PowerPoint mini lesson for your whole group instruction. Project on the whiteboard and have students participate in the interactive lesson. Students can write words on individual whiteboards or spell with a partner.
- Complete interactive notebooks as a whole group activity or have students completely independently, use during centers or morning work.
- You can integrate spelling work into reading centers if time permits.
- Partner practice takes only five minutes and can take place at any time throughout the day - try before lunch, after recess, or before dismissal.
- Interactive notebook pages, task card answer sheets, and assessments come two to a page to save time, paper, and copy costs. Simply print one sheet for every two students and cut it in half.
- The weekly spelling list and family letter are printed on the same sheet to save time and paper.
- Practice sheets and homework can be printed front to back.
- If you use the NSW Grammar notebook, the spelling program can fit into the same notebook.
- Practice sheets can be completed independently, in small groups, or as a whole class.
This program was designed to make differentiation easy:
- Each week includes three differentiated spelling lists, for beginner, on-track, and advanced spellers, as well as a combined list. ALL LISTS focus on the same rule each week.
- Choose the appropriate list for each student; the spelling inventory can help you make the right choice.
- Reduce the number of spelling words to be memorized and focus on the spelling pattern.
- Assign the optional homework for extra practice.
- Use both Interactive notebook activities for additional practice.
- Allow students to use their spelling lists as a resource when using task cards and practice sheets
- Work with beginning spellers to provide assistance as they complete the task cards.
- Provide additional time for partner practice.
- Challenge advanced students with specific directions for the “write a sentence” part of the practice activity.
- Grade both the spelling lists and spelling pattern part of the assessments, or just grade one section.
❤️❤️ Why You’ll Love It ❤️❤️
- Super-flexible spelling program can be tailored to fit YOUR schedule.
- You don’t have to be a phonics whiz to teach spelling! The PowerPoints make it so easy that even a substitute could teach it!
- Every single student is learning the same rule each week. You don’t have to teach multiple lessons.
- Teaches students WHY words are spelled the way they are, which will help them spell more new words correctly
Additional Resources You Might Like:
Q: Is this a full-year curriculum?
A: Yes, this growing bundle will contain a full year’s worth of spelling lessons for your students. When complete, the bundle will contain 32 weeks of spelling.
Q: How do I know which list to use?
A: You can use the spelling inventory included with the full program to pre-assess your students. You can also align your spelling groups with your reading groups or another diagnostic tool of your choosing.
Q. What if I don’t want to use different spelling lists?
A: There is also a combined spelling list that includes mostly words at a 3rd grade level, with a few higher-level words.
Q: How much time do I need to teach spelling?
A: You will need about 20 minutes to introduce the weekly spelling skill using the PowerPoint mini lesson. The remaining activities should take 10-15 minutes. The assessment time will vary depending on the lists used and skill level of your students. But this program was designed with flexibility in mind. You do not need to teach spelling for 10-15 minutes every day to make it work.
Q: How should I give the assessment if I use multiple spelling lists?
A: I recommend giving all the groups their assessment sheets. Dictate the words to group A, while groups B and C work on the bottom skill-based portion of the assessment. When you have finished dictating to group A, then dictate to group B, and then group C. Collect all the assessments when you are done. The total time should not take more than 20 minutes. You may want to have fast finisher assignments available for students who finish quickly.
Q: What do I need to prep each week?
A: Each week you will print one spelling list/family letter per student. These are both printed on the same page. You will also need one (or two) interactive notebook activities (printed 2 to a page), practice sheet/homework sheet (printed front to back), and assessment (printed two to a page). You can prep the recording booklet for the task card activity ahead of time. If you do make a recording book for the unit, you will only need two sheets of paper per student.
Q: What grade is this for?
A: This unit was created specifically for 3rd grade students.
Q: Do you have a math curriculum for other grade levels?
A: Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a spelling curriculum for other grades.
Q: How does a growing bundle work?
A: We offer you the option to purchase the entire bundle in advance at a discounted price before all of the units are complete. As each unit is added to the store you will get immediate access to download the new material.