PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Spelling Fluency is a multi-sensory approach to teaching students how to spell sight words. This resource can be used with any aged student – young students who are learning sight words for the first time and older students who need remedial help. This Spelling Fluency kit includes materials for 220 of the most frequently used words. These words are found on a popular sight word list, are typically taught in K-3rd grades, and usually those we call “rule-breaker words” or “red words.”
Just as in reading, fluency practices help students improve their spelling skills. After obtaining a baseline, students receive a list of words to master. During multi-sensory practices with a partner, students learn how to spell the words that trouble them most.
Of everything I tried throughout the years, Spelling Fluency practices have been the only way my students achieved spelling success with high frequency words. When used with a Personal Spelling Dictionary, that success transferred to their writing. Students took ownership of the words they “mastered” and no longer relied on me to spell grade appropriate words.
About this resource, teachers have said:
"AMAZING! Thank you for including the sentences with each word card...it's so nice not to have to think up sentences for each word now! What a time-saver!"
"I LOVE this spelling resource, I've used it all year in my middle school resource language arts class. My students spelling has greatly improved."
"This has been a fantastic addition to our Daily 5 rotations. All my students have their own spelling fluency folders and have easily picked up the roles and routines. I have found this resource very helpful and can already see an improvement in my students' spelling. Thank you"
Included in this resource:
1. Teacher Notes. Several pages full of directions on how to use the resource.
2. Spelling Assessment and Forms. Five leveled assessments that contain the 220 words used in this resource. The assessments will give you a baseline of where to begin with fluency practices. Student forms for each assessment also included.
3. Spelling Assessment Checklist. Use this form to keep track of students’ progress throughout the year. This is a perfect resource to have for conferences, RtI referrals and tracking, and student portfolios.
4. Fluency Cards. 220 word cards with level appropriate sentences for students to use during practices.
5. “Words I’ve Mastered” ring cover. When students master a word, you can choose to have them add it to their “Words I’ve Mastered” ring. This reference is perfect for students to use at home and helps students visualize their progress as their ring expands.
6. Student Direction Sheets. These sheets can be copied and placed in a work area or in students’ folders. Directions include words and pictures.
7. Practice Sheets. These sheets provide students with a place to record their fluency work. Two options are included.
8. Fluency Practice Cards. Students chart their success after each practice. Here they will keep track of how many times they spelled a word correctly and which words are coming up next on their fluency list.
9. “No Excuse Words” Wall Cards. 220 word wall cards – one for each of the fluency practice words.
10. Basket/Bin Labels. Use these labels to identify the place where students can turn in folders that are ready to be updated and old word cards. Two options included.
Pair this resource with a Personal Spelling Dictionary to increase student accountability. A money-saving bundle is available for those looking for a deal!
Want more information about how to use Spelling Fluency in the classroom? Find it here on my blog.
Thanks for stopping by my store and taking a look! Please email me with any questions you have before purchasing. email@example.com
Want to receive updates and discounts on newly listed products? Click the star by my name to follow my store. Subscribing to my newsletter will give you access to exclusive free resources, advance notice of special events, as well as occasional updates to posts and products. Subscribe
© 2014 - 2017 Jennifer Martinez, everything just so. All rights reserved. License permits individual use in single classroom only. To share with friends, please purchase additional licenses at half the original price. No part of this work may be reproduced in any way or by any means without expressed written consent of the author. Thank you for helping to protect my work!