These posters and flashcards in a cool, neon style are designed for struggling readers in the upper grades who are often facing "babyish" reading work due to their below-level reading skills. Encourage growth in phonics and spelling skills as well as give students a reference point to increase their independence (less "Teacher, how do you spell....???" throughout the day!!).
Research is clear – struggling decoders and spellers need explicit instruction and intense practice with “word work”. This set was made to fill two holes.
First, phonics and spelling materials formatted and designed with the older student in mind. Second, I found my own materials lacking a way to teach students all the different was we can spell a sound as well as all the different sounds letters or letter combinations can make. It is my hope that these materials help you fill a hole in your curriculum for older struggling readers as well. These posters and cards are meant to supplement both spelling and reading instruction and word work, regardless of the curriculum you choose to use. For example, they work with Words Their Way, Orton-Gillingham methods, or your own phonics instruction.
The cards can be printed and laminated as a class set for use as a center or literacy station activity. I use the two versions of two sets in order to differentiate, starting with the cards that have the key letters underlined (Set 2) if students have difficulty isolating the phonetic pattern or need that extra support. There is a version of both sets that includes a neon glow. You may also choose to give students an individual set in entirety, or ones that are personally difficult for them, to keep in an envelope glued into an Interactive Notebook or kept in a binder.
The posters are available in both bright neon and grayscale. The original intent is for these to be classroom posters; however it may be useful to print copies in color or grayscale for individual student use, or to make a spelling reference booklet that is kept in a central location in the classroom.
•10 Spelling Pattern Posters in Neon and in Grayscale, with age-appropriate clip art and design for the following patterns:
Long a (a, a_e, ai, ay, ei, eigh, ea, ey)
Long e (e, e_e, ee, ea, ei, ie, ey, y)
Long i (i, i_e, ie, igh, y, y_e)
Long o (o, o_e, oe, oa, ow)
Long u (u, u_e, ue, eu, ew)
oo as in blue (oo, ou, ue, ew, u, u_e)
oo as in book (oo, u)
ou as in out (ou, ow)
short o variations (a, au, aw)
short i (i, y)
• 52 Phonetic Flash Cards, showing how many sounds each letter/letter combination can make, with neon glow and without.
•Set 2 - letter combinations underlined for more support and differentiation
*****Updated 4/16/15 to fix a typo on page 13. If you purchased this resource prior to this date, please download the updated file by going to your My Purchases page. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you! *****
• Buy this Program in a BUNDLE that also addresses comprehension and decoding here: Reading Intervention BUNDLE
You might also be interested in:
• Read with Speed Digital Flash Cards!
•See my other products for struggling readers here.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.