What is Snowball Fight?
What could be more fun than a snowball fight -- in school?!
Snowball is a fun, energizing and engaging way for students to learn and practice spelling skills.
1. Print out all words – you can use colour or black & white
2. Cut each word out separately
3. Mix up the words well
4. There are 15 compound words (for 30 students) – adjust the number of words for the number of students in your class
5. Game only works for an even number of students – the teacher can play to even the numbers.
Before you start -
1. Teach the concept of compound words before playing the game.
2. The spelling concept can be revealed to the students or they can try to work it out themselves, depending on your class.
How to play -
1. Arrange students in 2 parallel lines facing each other on the opposite side of the classroom (or an outdoor/undercover area).
2. Give each child a word and ask them to scrunch the piece of paper up without looking at it.
3. Students then throw the snowballs back and forth across the room randomly (not to any particular person) until the teacher says stops (10-20 secs). This ensures the words are all mixed up. Play some energetic music while students are throwing snowballs.
4. When the teacher says stop, the students pick up a snowball, unscrunch the paper and read the word to themselves.
5. Students then wonder around the room trying to find the person who has their matching word to make a compound word.
6. When they find their match, students sit down in their pairs until everyone is finished.
7. If the last 2 children do not match, this means there are wrong pairs and students will need to work out where the error has occurred.
8. Each pair of students reveal the compound word to the rest of the class.
1. Once the game has finished, students can experiment to see if they can create other compound words.
2. To extend more able students, they can come up with their own pairs of compound words for the class to play.
Completed compound words –
Classroom, football, grasshopper, ladybug, seahorse, housefly, cupcake, cowboy, goldfish, sunflower, quicksand, toothbrush, everywhere, downstairs, newspaper