Smart writers have spelling tricks to help them spell words. Introduce this “Spelling Tricks” Chart and go over spelling strategies with your students. A must for your lower level writers, ELL students and students with special needs. You could also use it for small group instruction. Students could keep a copy in their writing folder and use it as a reference for the year.
1. Stretch It! (Say the word slowly and write down the sound of the letter you hear.)
2. Word Wall (Use classroom or individual word wall and see if it has the word you need.) (You could also use individual word wall template from our store)
3. Sound Boxes (Or Elkonian boxes can be used to help students “stretch out” or break words up into segments beginning, middle and end.)
4. Blends and Digraphs
5. Short and Long Vowels (Don’t forget each vowels has 2 sounds!)
6. Tap It Out! (Another strategy to help “stretch out” a word. Tap each sound you hear and write it down)
Spelling Tricks Chart
This colorful spelling trick chart is also included in all of our grades K-2 writing curriculum units.
If you like what you see here, click the “Follow Me” button near the top of the page to get email updates about our store, new products, and sales! Or visit Teaching Charts store to check out our other reading and writing resources. We are also on Instagram (teachingcharts) and Facebook (Teaching Charts)!