Although I really don’t care for spiders, it’s one of my students’ favorite themed-units.
I keep things non-creepy with nursery rhymes, fun stories and interesting crafts. Spiders are also a fun fall theme, if you don't do Halloween; or if you do, these spider activities are a fun educational activity for Halloween week or party day.
Each month I switch up my center and table top activities, with whatever theme we have for that week. With that in mind, I designed these spider-themed activities to help my students practice upper & lowercase letters.
Each year my Y5s are super-excited to “get their turn” to visit these centers and play the games, which make letter practice a lot of fun for them. Check the PREVIEW to take a look.
- Large and small patterns to make “Clippy the spider” an alphabet clothespin game. Use for a center, assessment, whole group craftivity, game for struggling students, or fun homework assignment.
- Spiderweb letter cards (separate upper & lowercase sets) to play a variety of games with: “What’s the Mystery Letter?”, “Kaboom”, “Memory Match”, “I Have; Who Has?” and “Flip It!” (I’ve included a 4-page “tip list” filled with super-fun ideas of how to use the ABC cards.
- 5 “trace & write” worksheets to practice both upper and lowercase letters
- 3 “Spin to Win” worksheet games.
- 4 “I spy!” whole group game that practices upper or lowercase letters. Quick, easy and super-fun way to whole group assess too. One student game sheet, can be used !
- Assessment worksheet, where students match the lowercase letter to the matching uppercase letter.
- 2 individual assessment forms, one for uppercase and another for lowercase letters. Assess with one recording sheet.
- “Spider Slider” craft. Another fun way to practice and whole group assess upper or lowercase letters. Plus...
- A “spiderific” certificate of praise (4 on a page) bookmark, which students can color.
I’m Diane from Teach With Me, wishing you a fun-filled time getting caught in an ABC web of learning.
Don’t forget that all my new products are 40% off for 48 hours. Click the green star button (under my photo) to follow me & you’ll be notified of these huge savings.