A book a week: Splat the Cat by Rob Scotton
Read the book daily for a week and complete an activity a day - oh so simple!
All activities were created with early Year/Grade 1 in mind! I usually use this book and activities on the first day of school when I am not sure how literate my students will be. Most activities don't rely on students being able to write independently.
1. Mini Poster – students draw and write about how
awesome they are.
2. Mini Character Report – students draw different
elements on the character Splat. What he looks
like, what he rides (bike), his pet (Seymour) etc.
3. Phonics – initial sounds. Students draw other
things that begin with the letters of Splat’s
name (ie S: strawberry, sandwich, sausage).
4. Beginning/Ending – students draw Splat’s feelings
at the beginning and at the end of the story.
Discuss how this compares to first day of
5. Compare and Contrast – students draw what cats are
good at (from the book) and what they are good
6. Bumper word search
7. Emotions labeling (American and Australian spelling options)
Internet links - not my work, but some link to other Splat resources!
Prefer a different font? Just ask.. if I can, I will!