Also included in
- This bundle Includes everything you need to teach a unit on Phylum Porifera and Phylum Cnidaria to your life science or biology students. Most resources are available in BOTH printable and digital formats.The bundle contains a 64-slide PowerPoint presentation, lecture notes for the teacher, a guide$39.99$51.97Save $11.98
This lab covers two phyla of invertebrates, Phylum Porifera and Phylum Cnidaria. Specifically, students will carry out a detailed examination of the sponge and the hydra, and will make comparisons between these two groups of invertebrates. Students will dissect a preserved sponge, make observations of living hydras, and will use preserved slides of both the sponge and hydra to view anatomical structures. Daphnia will be used as a food source for the hydra so that the feeding behavior of hydra can be observed.
Purpose of the Lab:
- To observe the characteristics and various structures of sponges and hydras.
- To observe living specimens of hydras to determine how they behave and respond to various stimuli.
- Prepared slide of the sponge
- Preserved sponge specimen
- Hand lens or dissecting microscope
- Dissecting tray or small dish
- Scalpel or razor blade
- Dissecting scissors
- Dissecting probe (teasing needle)
- Microscope slides
- Medicine droppers
- Chlorine bleach
- Toothpick or similar
- Prepared slide of Hydra
- Depression slides
- Living culture of Hydra
- 2% acetic acid solution
- Living culture of Daphnia
- Methylene blue solution
What will the students be doing?
- Students will examine and dissect a preserved sponge specimen to locate body features such as the ostia, osculum, and spicules.
- Students will use prepared slides of the sponge and hydra to make labeled drawings of body structures.
- Students will enjoy observing living hydras under the microscope to examine their tentacles, cnidocytes and nematocysts.
- Students will observe feeding behaviors in hydras by exposing them to small Daphnia.
What is included in this product?
- Two versions of lab handouts that are ready to be printed and passed out to your students. In version 1, students will write lab reports on their own notebook paper. In version 2, students will write on the lab handouts.
- Complete instructions.
- 8-page Teacher Guide containing lab preparation instructions, tips, and suggestions.
- Complete Answer Key containing all answers.
- Everything you need for the successful completion of this lab.
Related Resources Include:
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
You can find me at these locations as well: