A two-week literacy unit of poetry planning for Years 3 and 4, based on performing poems with a spooky theme and built around the new curriculum literacy objectives.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to spooky poems by Walter de la Mare and they will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poems are read aloud. Children will work towards creating their own spooky poems with a haunted atmosphere and then they will perform them aloud, adding sound effects.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic and narrative poems being read aloud
• To consider how a poet creates a 'haunted' atmosphere
• To prepare a poetry performance by planning sound effects
• To perform a poem to an audience using an appropriate pace
• To engage with a poet’s use of imaginative language
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupils resources.