This descriptive music writing unit is perfect for the Halloween season. It is designed for 4-6 grade students who need practice with using musical terms to describe a music selection. There is a cross-curricular connection to descriptive writing.
The unit includes
1. Five lesson plans
2. Five Student Worksheets/Activity pages
3. Five Composer Biographies
4. Background information on three of the pieces being studied
5. Grading Rubric
6. Management and activities tips - including GLOWSTICK CONDUCTING
Compositions in the Unit
1. Verdi's "Dies Irae" from Requiem Mass
2. Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
3. William's "Imperial March" from Star Wars
4. Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain"
5. Orff's "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana
UPDATED 10/06 - Bonus Composition Lesson on JS Bach's "Little Fugue in G Minor"
This unit does not include the recordings of music used, however it does give youtube references. Some materials (a piano, glowsticks, markers, etc) are needed for some lessons (print it out and prepare ahead of time and you'll be fine).