Just in time for HALLOWEEN! Enhance your sensory detail writing with this engaging STAAR-aligned narrative writing lesson.
Students will explore images and text through read alouds and images shared by Creative Crites courtesy of Google Images.
Follow this format:
1. Engage - Share jack-o-lantern pictures and read aloud from pumpkin/Halloween-themed books from your campus or classroom library.
(Leave books in a visible place in the classroom for future student exploration.)
3. Model - Follow the lesson and activities provided in the PDF by generating sensory details related to the jack-o-lantern topic. Model first before releasing the students to begin writing independently.(Model included - I suggest writing one with the class, leaving that one on the screen, and then allowing students to write their own with access to the model.)
Sentence starters are included to assist writers.
Leave your model visible as students begin to work independently.
4. Independent Practice - Students will begin working independently as you conference with writers individually or in small group. They will generate a small paragraph about the jack-o-lantern. Students should confer with their peer and/or teacher as often as needed to support the writer.
5. Share - Allow students to share out their sensory detail paragraphs with their classmates. Post paragraphs in a visible space to showcase writing models.
6. Assessment - A rubric is included for clear expectations and easy grading.
Check back often for more engaging writing lessons from Creative Crites.
Feedback is appreciated! If you like the lesson or have suggestions for new lessons or improvement, we welcome that feedback below. :)
This lesson was adapted from a lesson idea from Empowering Writers, Narrative Writing Guide. To learn more visit: www.empoweringwriters.com