Challenge your kids to continue reading each day while they are out on spring break. This is a fun banner activity where students are challenged to complete and color in the activity sections listed on the banner. Once all activities have been completed, the multi colored banner is returned to the teacher. The teacher will then have a fun banner to hang and brighten up the room or hallway after the break.
In addition to the activity sheet for students, I have included 4 additional colored accent banner pieces with fun reading themed pictures and titled with "Spring Break Reading Challenge". These can be added to your banner display.
The directions on the sheet that students take home are as follows:
1) The goal is to complete all of the reading activities on the banner over spring break.
2) To count an activity, you must read at least 15 minutes for that activity. For example, you must read to a friend for 15 minutes in order to color that section.
3. Some days you will need to complete more than one activity. You can combine no more than two activities in one reading session. For example, you can read with a flashlight to a friend for 15 minutes and then color both of those at the same time. After you have completed a task, color that section on the banner.
4) Cut out the colored banner and bring it back after the break. Make sure to bring your short summary too. A paragraph will do.
5) Your banner will be displayed for all to see.
The tasks students will be completing for the reading challenge are:
*Read to a friend.
*Read to a parent.
*Read under a table.
*Read a newspaper or magazine.
*Read while wearing sunglasses.
*Read in a car.
*Read with a flashlight.
*Write a short summary of a book you read. A paragraph will do. Return it to the teacher after the break.
*Read in bed.
*Read to a stuffed animal or pet.
*Read while enjoying a snack.
*Read in a funny voice.
*Read at least one non-fiction book.
*Go to the library and check out a book, or buy a new book to read.
***** Remember, 2 can be combined in a reading session. ****
NOTE: Because there is a task of writing a short paragraph, this spring break reading challenge may be more suitable for upper elementary.
Have a happy and fun spring break filled with reading. :-)