Spring is a time of growth and there is no better way to see what you students know about spring than getting them to write about this season. This bundle also give you math centers to use to build number sense and addition facts.
This Spring Writing
pack will help your grade record words on a Word Wall to use in spring themed writing tasks. The remaining tasks are for you to choose from to help motivate and challenge your writers.
Writing ideas -
• Spring Word Wall – brainstorm words and use them in your writing tasks
• I know it is spring when….
• Words to describe spring – you could make a list in an ordered way or a brainstorm the list that has words recorded randomly over the page.
• Alphabet Key – write words or phrases for spring for each letter
• Spring – Parts of speech
• In Spring I love to
• Conversation between two children about spring
• Y Chart – how it feels/smells/looks
• Spring break – where do you go?
• Spring break – My dream place to go?
• Top 10 things to do in Spring break
• What can we do on a rainy day on spring?
• How we feel when we see/smell new flowers?
• The best thing about rainy days are….
• Planting a seed - procedure
• Spring from a butterfly’s viewpoint
• Spring from a bird’s viewpoint
• Let’s go fly a kite…
• The best part about spring is….
• Thunderstorms make me….
• Acrostic for spring
• At the park with my friends
• Boggle – what words can you make with these letters?
• DeBono Hat grid
• Extra writing page for those who need more space
Spring Math Centers
Are your students motivated when spring is in the air? These centers will keep them on task and learning. Enjoy watching your students consolidate number sense through these tasks.
Tasks include -
• Ten Frames - Color copy and laminate all the cards - Use as flash cards to trust the count and Subitise. Use to make and record number stories 9 = 5+4 and 5 = 3+2
• Eggs needed? Sequence the nests in order of the numerals then put the number of eggs with the correct collection.
• Which hive has more bees? Set one –0-20, Set Two –0-100. Place the bee in the correct place to show more or less.
• Missing Umbrella - Color copy and laminate the cards. Place the missing umbrella in the correct spot.
• Skip Counting Umbrellas - Color copy and laminate cards A-Z. Display the A-Z cards around the room. Use the recording sheet to write your answer.
• Roll and cover - Use a 6 sided dice - roll and cover. There are three additional sets that ask you to +1, +2 and double the number rolled.
• Sequence the pots - Each set of pots has a different background to help you sequence in sets of six.
• How many kites in the sky? Work out how many kites in the sky? Color copy and laminate, then display around the room. Read the equations and use the kites like a number line. Record your answer on the answer sheet.
• More skip counting Roll a dice (6-10-12 sided) If you roll a 3 – you need three sets of cards. Then you need to work out that 3 x 2 = 6. Model how to skip count by 2’s
• Time to water Color copy and laminate - One set is o’clock - One set is half past - Spread them out and match the correct labels.
Addition to 10 Spring Theme
Adding to 10 is an important step in understanding early addition and place value. These cards can be used as Math Centers and small group work.
This pack contains -
Counting two collections together using cards for a Math Center.
• Color copy and laminate them for long term use.
• They can be used in a small group or as a ‘Read the Room’ activity.
• They can be used as flash cards to help build number sense and subitizing.
• Use the recording page to record the equations and the answers.
• They are available in two printing options.
‘Print and Go’ tasks
• Record answers for adding collections,
• Roll and add 1,
• Roll and add 2,
• Roll and add 3,
• Roll and add 4,
• Roll and add 5,
• Roll and add 6,
• Roll and double using a 20-sided dice for extension
Problem Solving Cards
• Use these worded problems to assess your student’s problem solving skills.
• Record your answers on the page provided or in your math book.
Spring Addition Pack
Spring Math Centres
Please read the description and download the preview before purchasing. The preview clearly shows you what is included in this pack.
COPYRIGHT ©2014 Paula’s Place
This product is for personal use in one classroom only. To share or use in multiple classrooms, please purchase additional licenses. This product may not be shared or distributed without consent from the author.
Be the first to know about my discounts, sales, free resources and new products: Look for the green star at the top of my store to ★Follow Me★
Don’t forget to get TPT credit to use on your future purchases:
I value your feedback. It helps me to make resources that meet your needs.
♥ Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
If you like what you see, follow me here @:
Paula’s Place - Blog
Paula’s Place - Facebook
Paula’s Place - Instagram
Paula’s Place - Pinterest