Also included in
- Looking for Easter activities that your students will love but are more than just a craft or activity to pass the time? These Easter STEM Challenges (Easter STEAM Challenges) will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun! The basic premise: Students work in partners or grou$9.98$19.90Save $9.92
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. (Note: Two of the 52 challenges are includ$104.00$204.77Save $100.77
- Looking for an Easter or spring STEM / STEAM activity sure to keep your kids engaged in collaborative, fun critical thinking & problem solving?The basic premise:Due to equipment malfunctioning at the bean factory, several types of beans are all mixed-up, putting the Easter Bunny in a bind! Indiv$5.98$7.96Save $1.98
Looking for Easter activities that your students will love but are more than just a craft or activity to pass the time? This Easter STEM Challenge (Easter STEAM Challenge) will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Due to equipment malfunctioning at the bean factory, several types of beans are all mixed-up, putting the Easter Bunny in a bind! Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a device to sort the jelly beans from the mixed-up beans.
(You can skip the story if it's too cutesy for your kids, or if you want to avoid Easter references.)
– If you’re working with younger students, you’ll want to mix jelly beans with only one other bean type that is not too similar in size (e.g. black beans). For older students, increase to two or three other bean types, some of which may be closer in size to the jelly beans.
Modifications included for grades 2-8.
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1/paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you'll want to look at the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
This is one of five Easter / Spring STEM Challenges. They can be purchased in a bundle at a 40% discount:
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to STEM Challenge “How-to”/PD videos
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Links to STEM Challenge “How-to”/PD videos
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides Post-design extension activities list
- Criteria & Constraints List (color and B&W; editable)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included; color and B&W)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W)
- Task Card Slide Tips, Templates, and Examples
- Related video & website slides
- Process Flow Map
- Create Word Problems
CLICK THE GREEN PREVIEW BUTTON UNDER THE COVER & THUMBNAILS TO SEE THE SLIDES INCLUDED IN THIS RESOURCE!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. )
– Jelly beans (1 – 2 bags)
– Mix-in beans: black, pinto, etc. (1 – 2 bags)
– Bowl/bucket to hold the mixed beans (1)
For each student or group:(
– Pipe cleaners (5 – 10)
– Paper plates (1 – 4)
– Coffee filters
– Paper bags
– Tape (12 – 24 in.)
– Rubber bands (5 – 10)
– Design analysis handouts (included)
• Plastic baggies
• Single hole punch
• Foil or foil pans
• Craft sticks
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60-90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“Great STEM activity...truly aligned to NGSS!”
“This was so much fun! My students really enjoyed the challenge.”
“I love that this is a themed STEM activity. The kids loved it. Thank you!”
You might also like these resources:
⭐ STEM Challenges: Year-Round Mega Bundle
⭐ Getting Started with STEM Challenges: FREEBIE
⭐ Valentine's Day STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ Christmas - Winter STEM Challenge Bundle 1:1 PAPERLESS
⭐ Thanksgiving STEM Challenges: 5-in-1 Digital-Paperless Bundle
⭐ Halloween STEM Challenges: 5-in-1 Bundle_Paperless 1:1 Version
⭐ Back to School STEM Challenge Bundle: 1:1 PAPERLESS Version
⭐ Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!