Looking for a creative, hands-on way to enhance your measurement unit? Once the mural is created with the class, you can use it to have rich math discussions about not only measurement, but counting, tallying, comparing, and addition. You can also use it as a way to include writing in math. There are journal writing prompts included as well in this product.
1. Create a class spring mural with trees, flowers, butterflies, bugs, clouds, sun, kites, etc. Have the students color and cut out the objects. Attach them to the mural however you wish.
2. Students count and tally how many of each object.
3. Students measure the length of some or all of the objects with cubes, links, inches, centimeters, etc.
4. Record/post answers on the mural using the recording sheets or write the results as an interactive writing activity on sentence strips.
5. Hang up the mural for display or for further math interactions such as a math center for measurement, counting, or addition, math journal writing, etc. Worksheets are included for each of these areas.