Students will love learning about maypoles! Maypoles have been a part of the May Day tradition for centuries. Students will gain background knowledge through the reading passage and comprehension questions.
Students will then be challenged by "The Mayor" to design and build a prototype of a maypole for the town's May Day Celebration. This is a great way to incorporate speaking and listening into to STEAM activities.
Included in this product:
- Teacher Explanation/ Directions & Materials List
- What is a Maypole Comprehension Passage
- Draw a picture of what you think a Maypole looks like based on the passage.
- What is a Maypole Comprehension Questions
- Pictures of Actual Maypoles
- Venn Diagram - Compare and Contrast your maypole drawing to the pictures of actual maypoles
- Steam Design Challenge Sheet (can be used as a poster for STEAM area)
- Steam Design Challenge Student (group) Directions and Criteria
- Maypole Design Planning Sheets
- Design Reflection Sheet
- Maypole Prototype Steps
- Maypole Presentation to the Mayor Guidelines
- Maypole Diagram Sheet