Bring on the warmer weather with these fun writing prompts. Whether it's already warm outside or you're just hoping for it, these prompts are a great way to teach narrative, expository, poetry, and creative writing.
Make a spring bulletin board or a class book with these prompts. These are best suited for 3rd-5th grade because of the amount of space provided to write. Click here for the same prompts for K-2nd graders.
Use at a writing center, as morning work, for early finishers, high achievers, or emergency sub plans. Give students an option of which prompts to complete, or have them work through all the prompts over 5 to 6 weeks.
Click here to buy the year long bundle and save 25% - 220 writing prompts in all!
One extra page with lines for more space to write is included. Print on the back of any other prompt or as a separate sheet for students who need more room or to allow students to elaborate.
27 prompts included:
- I cannot wait 'til spring because... (2 versions)
- One time I caught a butterfly and it said... (2 versions)
- When it's warm outside I like to... (3 versions)
- My favorite spring activity is... (3 versions)
- I like to go swimming because (2 versions)
- My favorite spring snack is...
- I know it's spring when... (2 versions- one allows students to draw a picture)
- My family's spring traditions include... (2 versions)
- If I could invent a new plant to grow in my garden it would be... (2 versions)
- Write a story about what would happen if you woke up one morning as a flower.
- If I were a bee I would...
- If I were a butterfly I would...
- If I were a dragonfly I would...
- If I were a little bug I would...
- If I were a snail I would...
- When it's rainy out I like to... (3 versions)
- My favorite spring animal is... (3 versions)
- Every spring my family (draw a picture)
- Write a story about a family's picnic at the park.
- Write a story about a tree house and a group of friends.
- Write a story about life in a pond.
- Let's go fly a kite. (3 versions)
- A Poem about Flowers
- A Spring Acrostic (Flower Petals)
- A Poem about Spring Chicks
- A Poem about Little Critters
- Spring Haikus (space for 4 haikus)
Check out my other spring products:
Spring Math Practice (3rd grade)
What time is it? Springtime!
St. Patrick's Day Math Activities
Easter Math Activities
Earth Day Math Activities
Have a happy spring!