Virginia Math SOL 8.5
20 Question Cards - Students identify the square root or the two consecutive whole numbers between which a square root lies.
*Answer Key is included.
Setup: Teams each have a set of cards stacked face down in the center of the table.
1. Teacher selects one person on each team to be the Showdown Captain for the first round.
2. The Showdown Captain draws the top card, reads the question, and provides think time.
3. Working alone, all students, including the Showdown Captain, write their answers.
4. When finished, teammates signal they are ready.
5. The Showdown Captain calls, “Showdown.”
6. Teammates share and discuss their answers.
7. The Showdown Captain leads the checking
8. If correct, the team celebrates; if not, teammates tutor, then celebrate.
9. The person on the left of the Showdown Captain becomes the Showdown Captain for the next round.