Squirrels: This mini-unit is FILLED with resources about squirrels– AND there are different options for each activity to suit the needs of your students. My mini-units are an alternative to the larger units that require more in-depth teaching. They are perfect for small group reading, as a week-long whole class unit or for independent research.
Here's what's included:
- 4 nonfiction texts: All About Squirrels, A Squirrel’s Tail, Types of Squirrels, and Chipmunks. Each text has 2 different versions – (1) full color, perfect for projecting whole class; (2) ink-saver edition with smaller photo that prints just as well in black and white
- 4 reading graphic organizers, one for each text
- text dependent written response sheets and discussion cards (both have the same questions): Each text has 6 questions that require students to return to the text to prove their answers.
- 2 anticipation guide activities – use before and after reading to find out what your students know and have learned
- 7 open-ended writing organizers and planning sheets, many in both lined and unlined versions
- partner play and compare and contrast activity – great for fluency practice (includes many facts about squirrels found in the original texts)
- squirrel themed writing paper (handwriting lines, regular lines and unlined)
- “Collect the Facts” walk the room activity: 12 fact cards to hang around the room (or use in a center) and a recording sheet with questions to go with the facts
Be sure to take a look at the preview to get a better idea of what's included.
Thanks for stopping by! Lisa, Second Grade Stories
Looking for other fall resources?
Fall Into Autumn ~ Language Arts and Math Centers and Activities
Pumpkin Math - Addition and Subtraction
Need more nonfiction units? See all of them by clicking HERE