This literacy module, anchored by an 800 outline of the life of St. Patrick, consists of a number of activities designed to improve reading comprehension, spelling and vocabulary in addition to research and writing skills.
The pack consists of:
1. The life of St. Patrick - a reading text. 800 words detailing biographical information, and myths relating to St. Patrick.
2. Questions based on the text. These are low order questions. Their function is to ensure understanding of the text.
3. Teasers. Another set of questions. However, the answers are not to be found in the text. Students will need to use research tools to find these answers. Answers supplied for teachers!
4. Cloze summary (Fill in the Blanks) activity based on St. Patrick's biography. A fun activity. Solution provided.
5. Vocabulary word search. 24 words to be found. Another fun activity, but there's a sting in the tale. Students are asked to write a sentence for each word to show their understanding. The solution to the word search is provided.
6. Vocabulary crossword. 24 clue crossword using the same vocabulary. Another fun activity. There is a word bank to assist students. The solution is provided for teachers.
7. Crossword based on St. Patrick's life. In this crossword, the clues in the crossword are explanations of how the words are relevant to the life of St. Patrick. There is a word bank for students, and a solution grid for teachers.
8. Map based Research activity. This task requires students to use their atlas or an internet map site to locate places (mentioned in the text) associated with St. Patrick. There is a blank map of Ireland, and students mark those places on the map. Photographs of each place (as it looks today) are included.
9. Writing activities. These challenge students to imagine themselves as Patrick or reporters or pilgrims, and write diary entries, letters, newspaper reports, texts, emails etc... This is the most challenging activity.
There are 12 pages of activities. It's a Word document, so can be edited.
I have included solutions (another 5 pages) to those activities which have specific answers.
I'm also selling some of these activities as standalone products. You can read further descriptions of them in my store.