These adorable iPhones link to our favorite St. Patrick's Day stories for your students to enjoy! Students will scan the QR Codes using a QR reader on their smart device (iPad, iPod, iPhone, tablets, etc.), then simply press play and listen to the stories being read by Heather Watson from Watson Works while they follow along in the book. A train “choo choo” will sound to alert students to turn the page. All of the narrations were made using AudioBoom.com; this should help with districts who filter/block YouTube.
*Please note: AudioBoom.com recently changed their listening restrictions. You must now have an account to listen, but fortunately, it's free to create an account.
You can also use these listening centers on desktop/laptop computers by having the document open on the screen and allowing students to click the QR codes which are hyperlinked to the narrations of the stories on AudioBoom.com.
The 8 stories included in this set are:
1) Green Shamrocks by Eve Bunting
2) Happy St. Patrick's Day, Curious George by Cynthia Platt
3) It's St. Patrick's Day! by Rebecca Gomez
4) The Luckiest St. Patrick's Day Ever! by Teddy Slater
5) The Night Before St. Patrick's Day by Natasha Wing
6) Patrick, the Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola
7) Ten Lucky Leprechauns by Kathryn Heling & Deborah Hembrook
8) There was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Clover by Lucille Colandro
1. Download a QR reader to the smart device your students will be using in the listening center.
2. Create a free account on audioboom.com (make sure you’re logged into your account on the device the students will be using in the listening center or it will not play – audioboom has changed their listening restrictions – you must now have an account to listen).
3. Print & cut out the listening center cards (cardstock recommended).
4. Laminate the listening center card so it can be used again and again (optional).
5. Obtain a copy of each of the books from your personal collection, school library, public library, local book store, or online, and place them in your listening center.
6. Suggested storage – Glue an index card sized library pocket on the inside cover of the book. Place the listening center card inside the pocket. You could also punch a hole in the corner of each card and put them on a ring.
7. Place the smart device in your listening center, along with headphones/earbuds. If you’d like multiple students to listen to the story at the same time from the same device, consider purchasing a headphone splitter.
8. Train students how to operate the smart device, QR reader, and the listening center.
1. Scan the QR code using the QR reader on the smart device located in the listening center.
2. Put on the headphones/earbuds.
3. Press play and follow along with the book. Note: A train “choo-choo” will sound to alert students to turn the page.
We hope you enjoy this product! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear your feedback, as well.
Thanks!! And Happy St. Patrick's Day! :)
~Heather & Ashley
Product created by Watson Works, 2015.