St. Patrick's Day Rhythm Relay
This super fun game is an excellent way to assess your students' recognition of rhythm and support aural development. As always, this activity has been tested in my own K-5 music classroom. My students had a blast playing this! See below for information about how I used this in my classroom.
Included are TWO different levels of rhythm cards and 20 cards per set for a total of 40 rhythm cards! One version includes eight notes, quarter notes, quarter rests, and half notes. The other version adds sixteenth notes and the initial eighth-sixteen note combination.
The files include:
• 5 pages of primary level rhythm cards, 5 cards per page, for a total of 20 primary rhythm cards
• 5 pages of secondary level rhythm cards, 5 cards per page, for a total of 20 secondary rhythm cards
This product comes in PDF format. Enjoy!
HOW I USED IT:
1) I divided my students into 4 teams, and we sat in a rectangular shape.
2) I placed the rhythm cards in the middle and gave students directions explaining good sportsmanship, card handling, and that there was one correct rhythm card in the pile (you could, of course, create as many sets as you'd like and have each team bring back the correct card).
3) I chanted the requested rhythm, and students raced to the middle to find the correct card, holding up what they thought was correct until the correct answer was found.
4) The found rhythm was returned to the pile, and play continued.
I used fewer cards for the lowest two grade levels so there weren't as many choices for them to sift through. This game worked extremely well for ALL grades! I actually put this with another product in my store, so we alternated with one round of rhythm hunting and one round of St. Patrick's Day trivia! CHECK IT OUT!
FOR A COMPLETE 45-MINUTE LESSON, PAIR THIS PRODUCT WITH:
St. Patrick's Day Trivia