Also included in
- Looking for St. Patrick’s Day STEM activities that your students will love but are more than just crafts to pass the time? These St. Patrick’s STEM Challenges (or STEAM Challenges) will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun! The basic premise: Students work in partners orPrice $8.98Original Price $17.50Save $8.52
- Super-charge your STEM class with 52 high-engagement, critical thinking, problem-solving, NGSS-aligned challenges to take you through the entire year! Modifications are included to make these activities engaging and challenging for students in grades 2 - 8. The basic premise: Students work in partnePrice $95.00Original Price $188.80Save $93.80
- Looking for St. Patrick’s Day activities that your students will love but are more than just a craft or activity to pass the time? This St. Patrick’s STEM Challenge (or STEAM Challenge) will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun!The basic premise:You may know that leprechPrice $5.98Original Price $7.96Save $1.98
Looking for a St. Patrick’s Day STEM Activity to catch a leprechaun? This St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge comes with a twist on the classic leprechaun trap activity.
The basic premise:
You may know that leprechauns have the ability to grant three wishes to human captors in exchange for their freedom, but capturing leprechauns is trickier than it sounds!
Working in groups against criteria & constraints and equipped with a Leprechaun Lore List, students will design and build a device to lure and safely capture a leprechaun.
Note: This is the printable version. If you are in a 1:1 / paperless classroom, you will want to check out the digital option for use with GOOGLE SLIDES (TM) instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Criteria & Constraints List (in color and B&W; editable)
- Results and Design Analysis (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included in color and black & white; editable)
- Leprechaun Lore List (color and black & white; editable)
- Discussion Questions (color and B&W; editable)
- Process Flow Map
- Writing Templates
- Create Math Problems Based on Designs
- Math Extension Option: Practice dividing by 2 (editable)
- Math Extension Option: Identifying addition/subtraction fact families (editable)
- Math Extension Option: Identifying multiplication/division fact families (editable)
- Math Extension Option: Identifying equivalent percents, fractions, and decimals (editable)
This is one of five challenges available in the St. Patrick’s Day STEM Challenge bundle at a 40% discount!
This resource is also available in the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE at an even greater discount!
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified.)
For each student or group:
– Leprechaun (1)
• Represented by bouncy balls, marbles, or grapes
– Small cups or bowls (1)
– String/yarn (24 – 36 in.)
– Shoeboxes, cereal boxes, tissue boxes and/or or cardboard scraps (distributed evenly among groups)
– Tape (12 - 24 in.)
– Cotton balls (5 – 10)
– Rubber bands (5 - 10)
– Lunch bags or plastic baggies (1 – 2)
– Foil (12 in. sheet)
– Paper and markers
– Leprechaun Lore List (included)
– Design analysis handouts (included)
• Single hole punch
• Pipe cleaners (5 - 10)
• Craft sticks (5 – 10)
• Paperclips (10 – 20)
• Straws (5 – 10)
• Brass brads/fasteners (4)
• Toothpicks (10 – 20)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
"We love your stem challenges. It promotes so much creativity, collaboration, and FUN. Thank you!"
"One of my most favorite class activities. Thank you!"
"This was a lot of fun to do with my kiddos!"
You might also like these resources:
Please check out the video preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Video preview music credit:
"Carefree" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License